Other Forums

Threads that don't fit anywhere else.
DonarSohn

Other Forums

Post by DonarSohn »

Poal, Voat and Saidit are the only forums I know of that are not completely ruined with modern day censorship and corporate control.

I see a lot of hate for Paol and Voat from Saidit, but if you can wade through the sludge they seem to be quite open places to discuss anything.

I was a Voat member back when it was young, soon after reddit started stealing the large subreddits from open minded mods to censor and control them. I found Saidit after Voat went down the first time and then Poal just from the bashing it receives on the other forums.

Can anyone suggest somewhere else I can find good discourse? This place is great and I love the forum style, but it's a little quiet atm.

How would you all feel if I started sharing some of the good stuff here that I find over at Poal/Saidit/Voat.
0 x
-DonarSohn
soundsituation

Re: Other Forums

Post by soundsituation »

I would appreciate some cross postings since I never visit Poal or Voat. How about communities.win? Do they censor? That's probably my second favorite forum. It's a distant second since it's pretty homogenous and I don't agree with most of the content, but I've found some interesting stuff and I like the layout.

By the way, speaking of forum alternatives - does anyone know wtf Lemmy and Lenny are? I see them referenced constantly in saidit's decentralization threads but after a half-assed investigation I haven't been able to find anything.
0 x
soundsituation

Post by soundsituation »

soundsituation wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:06 am By the way, speaking of forum alternatives - does anyone know wtf Lemmy and Lenny are?
Nvm found them!
0 x
DonarSohn

Post by DonarSohn »

soundsituation wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:24 am
soundsituation wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:06 am By the way, speaking of forum alternatives - does anyone know wtf Lemmy and Lenny are?
Nvm found them!
Could you share? I'm curious as well and haven't been able to find anything other than some subtle mention on Saidit.

Also, I haven't bothered crossposting because Communities.win, Saidit.net and Voat.xyz have a huuuge overlap. I actually spend more time on just communities.win, it seems to be quite free and a lot less garbage posts and trolls than saidit or voat. So thanks for the suggestion.
0 x
-DonarSohn
LarrySwinger
Sole Benevolent Dictator

Post by LarrySwinger »

DonarSohn wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:24 am
soundsituation wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:24 am

Nvm found them!
Could you share? I'm curious as well and haven't been able to find anything other than some subtle mention on Saidit.

Also, I haven't bothered crossposting because Communities.win, Saidit.net and Voat.xyz have a huuuge overlap. I actually spend more time on just communities.win, it seems to be quite free and a lot less garbage posts and trolls than saidit or voat. So thanks for the suggestion.
This is Lemmy, a federated Reddit clone. The problem with it is that it's built by SJWs. All the servers have a communist / SJW userbase, and if yours doesn't they won't federate with you. On top of that, they built a PC word filter into the codebase, and it can only bypassed by a hard fork. Lenny is that fork.
1 x
soundsituation

Post by soundsituation »

How is the shill situation on .win sites? I saw this earlier and it made me wonder: https://saidit.net/s/Collusion/comments ... ted_shill/

The title is nonsensical, the link is broken, and the user account is brand new but it still made me wonder. I don't visit communities.win enough to have a feel for the culture. I wonder how much they deal with paid influencers.
0 x

Post by Guest »

How bad is Saidit these days? It feels really quiet. I'm wondering how much it's being taken over by commies. I think TAM killed Saidit.
0 x
Horus

Post by Horus »

Guest wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:13 pm How bad is Saidit these days? It feels really quiet. I'm wondering how much it's being taken over by commies. I think TAM killed Saidit.
I posted that as guest. Sorry.
0 x
LarrySwinger
Sole Benevolent Dictator

Post by LarrySwinger »

Horus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:06 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:13 pm How bad is Saidit these days? It feels really quiet. I'm wondering how much it's being taken over by commies. I think TAM killed Saidit.
I posted that as guest. Sorry.
No need to apologize for guest posting; anonymity's a right over here! You can also post anonymously while you're logged in. That way, you'll receive a notification for replies, but others can't see it was you (although admins still can).

Saidit is indeed quiet. I don't think it has much to do with TAM, because the aftermath of that was good, with her stepping down as an admin and Jason being unbanned. I think it's the intense drama that had been going on since the beginning of the year, combined with the downtimes it's had. Especially the downtimes, in fact. I feel like it never completely picked up steam afterwards. Not that it's so bad the way it is. When a community is smaller, you have more visibility as an individual. And the good posters still post, at least most of them. The biggest problem I have with Saidit is login issues. It takes a long time for it to check my browser and I often have to fill in a captcha, which I refuse to do. I could bypass this if I kept my cookies. I've configured my browser to clear cookies when I close it, and for some reason I have trouble setting exceptions for specific sites. So I have to log in manually each time, and then it's hit or miss regarding whether or not it will let me log in. That's why I'm less active there now.
0 x
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

>Post by Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:13 pm
>How bad is Saidit these days? It feels really quiet. I'm wondering how much it's being taken over by >commies. I think TAM killed Saidit.

I think it remained the same after TAM. Removal of spam helped. But there are no 'commies' on Saidit; not one. There is the occasional liberal or centrist post, but Saidit is essentially extreme-right or alt-right, and filled with misinformation and disinformation. This is why the site won't develop.
0 x
LarrySwinger
Sole Benevolent Dictator

Post by LarrySwinger »

Guest 2 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:05 pm >Post by Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:13 pm
>How bad is Saidit these days? It feels really quiet. I'm wondering how much it's being taken over by >commies. I think TAM killed Saidit.

I think it remained the same after TAM. Removal of spam helped. But there are no 'commies' on Saidit; not one. There is the occasional liberal or centrist post, but Saidit is essentially extreme-right or alt-right, and filled with misinformation and disinformation. This is why the site won't develop.
Nice try, socks.
0 x