Anybody here successfully quit or cut back on drinking?

Threads that don't fit anywhere else.

Anybody here successfully quit or cut back on drinking?

Post by Guest »

I drink way too fucking much and it's time to make a change. I gained 25 pounds during lockdown due to a combination of less exercise and more booze, so weight loss is my primary motivation but I also just want to improve my health in general. I'm a bit worried about withdrawals, so I think I will try a taper.

If anyone has any advice, warnings, personal stories or anything else, please drop it here.
0 x

Re: Anybody here successfully quit or cut back on drinking?

Post by Guest »

It's tough. I've been off/on but it's very habitual for me. I drink beer like people would drink pop, it's my go to drink, very refreshing, love the variety of craft beer, the possibilities of flavour profiles (but I'll crush anything really) Plus a buzz is an awesome feeling.

Here's how I struggle:

Substitute beer for some other drink. Lemon water, tea, sparkling water (although carbonation itself isn't that healthy)
Do more of other drugs you like. Coffee, cannabis.
Limit drinking to ONLY Sat/Sun or whatever fits your schedule best.
or
Buy a set amount and make it last all week. One six pack: so I can have one beer per night, or save them up and get drunk on the weekend.

I stick better to a plan when I set a goal or even a "rule" for myself and say I need to stick to it. It gets easier, once I have a streak going I don't want to break it.

Also, 420chan has a board dedicated to alcohol that I enjoy. Stories of late stage alcoholism, health problems, making fools of themselves. Keeps things in perspective.

All the best.
0 x

Re: Anybody here successfully quit or cut back on drinking?

Post by Guest »

Found this on addiction:
Great Leaders Do What DrugsAddicts Do
0 x