Deja vus

The love of wisdom.

Moderator: DonarSohn

Anonymous 1

Deja vus

Post by Anonymous 1 »

I had a deja vu recently: I had a conversation with someone, and later recalled that I had a very similar conversation in the past. This happens more often. It's feels so odd when it does. Like a glitch in the matrix. Researchers tell us that the memory gets registered incorrectly, and we mistakenly believe it to have happened in the past as well. But the experience is so convincing. Surely our own experience is more reliable than what some researcher concludes. Can't it be that at least some deja vus are authentic, so to speak? It's not unthinkable for the same thing to happen twice, or a conversation to take the same turn at different times.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you experience deja vu regularly? Do you get what I mean when I talk about a glitch in the matrix?
0 x
la_cues

Re: Deja vus

Post by la_cues »

I have had Deja Vus so vivid that they've really struck me as being significant.

As well, I've had a couple Deja Vus that "show me" a few seconds of the future beyond the moment at hand. I try to carry out what is shown in my Deja vision, nothing really strange or significant has come of it yet.

It gives me the feeling of "a prophetic dream that I have never remembered until this very second".
0 x
DonarSohn

Post by DonarSohn »

Deja Vu is french and translates to Already Seen. Just a little factoid some might not know.

Even given all the variables we encounter everyday, it is highly likely that we will have very similar experiences more than once. I have experienced deja vu multiple times during conversations.

I think that deja vu "feeling" or "glitch in the matrix" is a possible reaction of your brain trying to write into memory something that almost exactly exists inside your memory already.

It is also possible in some cases your brain does register a memory incorrectly per the research you mentioned. I'd be very interested to know the method they used to reproduce a feeling of deja vu.
0 x
-DonarSohn
soundsituation

Post by soundsituation »

I don't get deja vu anymore. I wish I did because I actually really enjoy the disorientation. It's like the liminal space between waking life and dreams. How old are you? I read a Psychology Today article (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... nce-d-j-vu) that said deja vu is most common among 15-25 year olds, and that fits my experience. I did have one episode a couple years ago, but it was my first in a very long time.
0 x
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

soundsituation wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 am I don't get deja vu anymore. I wish I did because I actually really enjoy the disorientation. It's like the liminal space between waking life and dreams. How old are you? I read a Psychology Today article (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... nce-d-j-vu) that said deja vu is most common among 15-25 year olds, and that fits my experience. I did have one episode a couple years ago, but it was my first in a very long time.
I'm in my late 20s. Come to think of it: this matches my experience as well. I had them the most perhaps in my late teenage years.
0 x